Happy Birthday, CN
- April 15, 2002: Charity Navigator launches to help donors, like you, make intelligent giving decisions by providing free information about charities’ financial health
- 2004: We begin assessing each rated charity’s commitment to keeping donors’ personal information confidential
- 2010: Our advisory system alerts donors to timely information that can impact their giving
- 2011: We launch CN 2.0, our expanded rating system, which appraises charities’ Accountability & Transparency practices
- 2015: After 2 years we conclude Phase 1 of Results Reporting, having learned the challenges nonprofits have in measuring and reporting impact.
- 2016: CN 2.1 uses updated rating methodology that ensures that we remain an accurate evaluator of charities’ financial health.
- April 15, 2017: Charity Navigator turns 15! We have helped evolve the giving conversation from a feeling of donors obligation to a dialogue with charities where donors feel equipped and empowered to ask questions, give confidently, and expect results. Our 2017-2021 Strategic Plan is focused on three goals: Equip, Expand, Deepen
For 15 years Charity Navigator has equipped donors with unbiased charity evaluations and tools to help you make informed giving decisions.
Our real excitement on this big birthday, though, is about the journey still to come. We are launching a number of initiatives outlined in our new five-year strategic plan that will improve the services you rely on and make impactful philanthropy easier for everyone.
Our progress is thanks in large part to the generous support of donors, like you. We wouldn’t be here without that support, and we are grateful to know that we can continue to count on the people who use our ratings and tools to fuel the bold goals on our road ahead.
Support Charity Navigator