Save The Date - November 27, 2012
|Tweets about "#GivingTuesday"|
This year, something unique will take place on Tuesday, November 27, 2012. And its called #GivingTuesday.
What is #GivingTuesday exactly? It’s a national movement during the holidays dedicated to giving, similar to how Black Friday and Cyber Monday have become days that are synonymous with holiday shopping. The goal of #GivingTuesday is to encourage people everywhere including retailers, charities, online organizations, community centers, individuals and families to come together with one common purpose -- to help others and incentivize ways to give more, give smarter, and celebrate the great American spirit of contribution.
#GivingTuesday is a simple idea. All you need to do is find a way for your family, your community, your company or your organization to join in acts of giving. Then tell everyone you can about what you are doing and why it matters.
Join The Movement
If you think America could do with a day focused on giving back, then join the movement! First, determine what it is that you want to do to give back on #GivingTuesday. Here are some ideas to get your creative juices going:
- Use Charity Navigator's extensive database of nearly 6,000 charity ratings to find a charity worth supporting on November 27.
- Volunteer at a charity. You can use Charity Navigator's advance search to look for charities in your community. Then follow up with them directly (using the information we provide on the charity's ratings page) to learn more about helpful ways in which you can give your time.
- Organize a local toy drive, consignment sale or holiday goods sale to raise money and goods for charity.
- Honor those in your community who keep everyone safe and healthy. Prepare a meal and deliver it to the fire or police department. Include handmade pictures and thank you notes (a great idea for families with little kids).
- Donate your used goods (that are in good condition) to a charity.
- Help out an elderly neighbor with yard work, picking prescriptions or even just by spending some time together talking.
- Set aside a few days during the coming year, that are not connected to traditional holidays, to donate food to a local food pantry. Most food banks are flooded with donations of gifts and food around the holidays. It’s the other times in the year that are more challenging.
- Establish your giving plans for the coming year - how much will you give, to which charities and when.
Now that you have a plan in place for how you'll give back, don't forget to get the word out and inspire your friends, family and followers to do good on November 27. Here eare some ideas:
- If you plan to donate to or volunteer for a specific charity, then tweet about it using the hashtag #GivingTuesday. Your tweet will display on this page and be seen by those following the movement.
- Sign up as a Social Media Ambassador on the #GivingTuesday website.
- "Like" GivingTuesday on Facebook and follow #GivingTuesday on Twitter. While you are at it, "like" Charity Navigator on Facebook and Twitter.
When encouraging your friends to participate, remind them to use Charity Navigator to vet charities before giving their time or money. Here are some sample tweets:
- Black Friday, Cyber Monday? Redeem ur good karma on #GivingTuesday by supporting a highly-rated #charity @CharityNav http://ht.ly/dJ4JX
- Join the #GivingTuesday campaign http://ht.ly/dGPAn but be sure to vet the charities on ur holiday list be4 u give! http://ht.ly/dJ4JX
- Ever thought u should give back more? What r u waiting 4? Give more, better, smarter with @CharityNav http://ht.ly/dJ4JX on #GivingTuesday
- Celebrate the new day in the Holiday Season – #GivingTuesday by giving wisely. Check @CharityNav http://ht.ly/dJ4JX free #charityratings
- It's #givingtuesday 11.27.12 & it's going to be AWESOME! Learn more http://ht.ly/dGQrJ & Giving Wisely w/ @CharityNav http://ht.ly/dJ4JX
- Perfect antidote to overspending this holiday? Giving Smartly with @CharityNav http://ht.ly/dGMRj on #GivingTuesday Nov. 27! @givingtues
- #GivingTuesday is even better than Cyber Monday/ Black Friday. Be sure 2 give wisely using @CharityNav #CharityRatings http://ht.ly/dJ4JX
- Heard of Black Friday & Cyber Monday? This year it’s all about #GivingTuesday & giving smartly @CharityNav http://ht.ly/dJ4JX
- Add your name to the related Thunderclap and identify yourself as a leader in the movement
Be a Smart Giver
In the following video, Charity Navigator's President & CEO, Ken Berger, offers tips for how you can be an informed giver.
On Tuesday, October 2, Charity Navigator participated in a #GivingTuesday Google + Hangout along with representatives from Groupon Grassroots and Blackbaud. For our part (around 18:30), we discussed tips for how corporations and individuals should select a charity. A recording of the chat is below: