#GivingTuesday: A Day of Giving Back
October 24, 2013
“If you can’t feed a hundred people then just feed one.” ~ Mother Theresa
After a successful inaugural effort during the fall of 2012 , a unique giving experience will take place again this year on December 3rd, 2013. It is called #GivingTuesday and it is catching on across the country and around the world.
What is #GivingTuesday exactly? It’s a national movement during the holidays dedicated to charitable giving, similar to how Black Friday and Cyber Monday have become days that are synonymous with holiday shopping. The goal of #GivingTuesday is to encourage people everywhere including retailers, charities, online organizations, community centers, individuals and families to come together with one common purpose -- to help others and incentivize ways to give more, give smarter, and celebrate the great American spirit of generosity through charitable contributions and volunteerism.
#GivingTuesday is a simple idea. All you need to do is find a way for your family, your community, your company or your organization to join in acts of giving. Then tell everyone you can about what you are doing and why it matters.
Note: Giving financially is not the only way to do good. Volunteering, doing food drives, lending a helping hand and just tweeting/sharing about #GivingTuesday and encouraging people to vet charities with Charity Navigator, are just some of the great ways to get involved and do good on #givingtuesday.
Join the Movement (and share your stories!)
Tweet #givingtuesday and @Charnav if you think America could do with a day focused on giving back, then join the movement!
First, determine what it is that you want to do to give back on #GivingTuesday. Here are some ideas to get your creative juices going:
- Use Charity Navigator's extensive database of nearly 7,000 charity ratings to find a charity worth supporting on December 3rd, 2013.
- Volunteer at a charity. You can use Charity Navigator's advance search to look for charities in your community. Then follow up with them directly (using the information we provide on the charity's ratings page) to learn more about helpful ways in which you can give your time.
- Organize a local toy drive, consignment sale or holiday goods sale to raise money and goods for charity.
- Honor those in your community who keep everyone safe and healthy. Prepare a meal and deliver it to the fire or police department. Include handmade pictures and thank you notes (a great idea for families with little kids).
- Donate your used goods (that are in good condition) to a charity.
- Help out an elderly neighbor with yard work, picking prescriptions or even just by spending some time together talking.
- Set aside a few days during the coming year, that are not connected to traditional holidays, to donate food to a local food pantry. Most food banks are flooded with donations of gifts and food around the holidays. It’s the other times in the year that are more challenging.
- Share your stories with Charity Navigator on Twitter @CharNav and Facebook.
Once you have settled on an idea for how you'll give back, don't forget to get the word out and inspire your friends, family and followers to do good on December 3rd. Here are some ideas:
- If you plan to donate to or volunteer for a specific charity, then tweet about it using the hashtag #GivingTuesday. Your tweet will display on this page and be seen by those following the movement.
- Sign up as a Social Media Ambassador on the #GivingTuesday website.
- "Like" GivingTuesday on Facebook and follow #GivingTuesday on Twitter. While you are at it, "Like" Charity Navigator on Facebook and Twitter too!
When encouraging your friends to participate, remind them to use Charity Navigator to vet charities before giving their time or money. Here are some sample tweets:
- Black Friday, Cyber Monday? Redeem ur good karma on #GivingTuesday by supporting a highly-rated #charity @CharityNav http://ht.ly/q9k6T
- Join the #GivingTuesday campaign, but be sure to vet the charities on ur holiday list be4 u give! http://ht.ly/q9k6T
- Ever thought u should give back more? What r u waiting 4? Give more, better, smarter with @CharityNav http://ht.ly/q9k6Ton #GivingTuesday
- Celebrate the new day in the Holiday Season – #GivingTuesday by giving wisely. Check @CharityNav http://ht.ly/q9k6T free #charityratings
- It's #givingtuesday 12.03.13 & it's going to be AWESOME! Learn more http://bit.ly/1hfLGfn & Giving Wisely w/ @CharityNav http://ht.ly/q9k6T
- Perfect antidote to overspending this holiday? Giving smartly with @CharityNav http://ht.ly/q9k6T on #GivingTuesday Dec. 3rd! @givingtues
- #GivingTuesday is even better than Cyber Monday/ Black Friday. Be sure 2 give wisely using @CharityNav #CharityRatings http://ht.ly/q9k6T
- Heard of Black Friday & Cyber Monday? This year it’s all about #GivingTuesday & giving smartly @CharityNav http://ht.ly/q9k6T
This year we challenge you to get into the #giving spirit. Motivate your family, friends, colleagues and acquaintances to get involved and create social good as well!
Be a Smart Giver
In the following video, Charity Navigator's President & CEO, Ken Berger, offers tips for how you can be an informed giver.