Charity Navigator works to guide intelligent giving. Our goal is to help people give to charity with confidence. At the same time, we aim to help charities by shining lights on truly effective organizations. In doing so, we believe we can help ensure that charitable giving keeps pace with the growing need for charitable programs.
Our approach to rating charities is driven by those two objectives: helping givers and celebrating the work of charities. The pages listed below describe how we select charities to evaluate, how we classify and rate them, and what givers can conclude based on our ratings.
- What Kind of Charities Do We Evaluate?
- How Do We Classify Charities?
- How Do We Rate Charities?
- How Do We Rate Charities' Financial Health?
- Financial Ratings Tables
- How Do We Rate Charities' Accountability and Transparency?
- Accountability and Transparency Ratings Tables
- How Do We Calculate the Overall Score and Star Rating?
- What Do Our Ratings Mean?
- What Other Information Do We Present on the Charities We Evaluate?
- How Current are Our Ratings?
- How Do We Decide To Post A Donor Advisory?
- How Do We Decide To Remove A Donor Advisory?
- How Do We Plan To Evaluate Results Reporting?
- Glossary of Terms