Charity Navigator is committed to expanding our rating system beyond the financial analysis we currently provide (see A Measure of Outcome). Specifically, we believe that there are three components to making a wise social investment.
- First, a social investor must determine whether the charity is financially healthy.
- Second, they should review the charity’s accountability and transparency practices.
- Third, they need to assess the charity’s ability to deliver social value (a sustained change for the better for people and communities who receive services).
Of these three components, Charity Navigator currently addresses the first and second, and we are researching the third. We are calling the future rating system that includes all three components CN 3.0.
The following members of our Advisory Panel will be our sounding board as we endeavor to expand and improve our system of rating charities. Together, these advisors have a vast experience and expertise in nonprofit finance, accountability and outcome measurement. They were also selected for their dedication to improving the philanthropic sector.
- Tosca Bruno-van Vijfeijken - Director for Education and Practitioner Engagement, Transnational NGO Initiative, Maxwell School, Syracuse University
- Laura Callanan - Scholar in Residence at UCBerkeley/Haas, Visiting Fellow at NYU/Wagner and Senior Fellow at The Foundation Center
- David Campbell - Assistant Professor of Public Administration, SUNY Binghamton
- Margaret M. Coady - Director, Committee Encouraging Corporate Philanthropy
- John Dugan - Founder and Chairman of the Board, Charity Navigator
- Robert Egger - Founder and President, DC Central Kitchen
- Caroline Fiennes - Director, Giving Evidence and Author
- Matthew Forti – Director, One Acre Fund USA
- Sean Granahan - President and General Counsel, The Floating Hospital
- Chuck Harris - Portfolio Manager, Director of Capital Aggregation, The Edna McConnell Clark Foundation
- Joaquin Herranz - Assistant Professor of Public Affairs, Evans School of Public Affairs at UW
- Jay Jacobs - Chief Executive Officer, Summer Search
- Dr. Betina Jean-Louis, Director of Evaluation, Harlem Children's Zone
- Dr. Jeremy Kohomban - President and CEO, The Children's Village
- Dr. Jackson Kytle - Consultant on Adult and Higher Education
- Bruce Y. Lai - Chief Strategy and Revenue Officer, backCODE and Board Chair, Public Health Foundation Enterprises (PHFE)
- Tom Moser - Retired Partner and Vice Chairman, KPMG LLP
- Craig Newmark - Founder, Craigslist
- Andrew Niklaus - Chief Operating Officer, First Place for Youth
- Dr. Robert Penna - Owner, RMPC and Author, The Nonprofit Outcomes Toolbox
- Katherina Rosqueta - Executive Director, Center for High Impact Philanthropy
- Andrew Silverstein – Partner, Dorfman Abrams Music LLC
- Pete Smith – President, Smith Compensation Consulting
- Sean Stannard-Stockton - Founder, Tactical Philanthropy Advisors
- Cynthia L. Strauss - Director of Research, Fidelity Investments' Charitable Gift Fund
- Nicholas Torres - Executive Director, Philadelphia School Partnership
- Leigh Tucker - CPA, Managing Director, Accounting Management Solutions, Inc.
- William von Mueffling - President and CIO, Cantillon Capital Management
- Eric Walker - VP, Coporate Services, Path and Board Chair InsideNGO
- Barbara Wallace - Vice President, Membership and Standards, InterAction